Google launched Android Studio 3.6, the latest version of its integrated development environment (IDE), with a specific focus on “addressing quality in primarily code editing and debugging use cases.” This release is the first release since Project Marble, a fancy name for an initiative Google announced late last year to improve Android Studio’s fundamental features. Android 3.6 introduces a small set of new features, polishes existing features, and addresses the usual bugs and performance improvements.
The new release comes less than a week after Google launched Android 11 Developer Preview 1. While developers can use other IDEs to build on Android, the latest features arrive first in Android Studio. Version 3.6 includes a new way to quickly design, develop, and preview app layouts using XML. Google Maps is now integrated right into the Android Emulator extended control panel so developers no longer have to manually type in GPS coordinates to test location features in their app. It’s also now easier to optimize your app and find bugs with automatic memory leak detection for Fragments and Activities.
You can now download Android Studio 3.6 for Windows, Mac, and Linux directly from developer.Android.Com/studio. If you are already using Android Studio, you can get the latest version in the navigation menu (Help => Check for Update on Windows/Linux and Android Studio => Check for Updates on OS X).
Google released Android Studio 3.5 in August. The version number 3.6 suggests this isn’t a significant release, but if you build for Android, there might be features of note in the list below.
Android Studio 3.6 features
Here’s the rundown of what version 3.6 brings to the table:
- Split view in plan editors: Design editors, for example, the Layout Editor and Navigation Editor, presently give a Split view that empowers you to see both the Design and Code perspectives on your UI simultaneously. Split view replaces the Preview window and can be arranged on a document by-record premise to protect setting data like zoom factor and configuration see alternatives, so you can pick the view that works best for each utilization case. To empower split view, click the Split symbol in the upper right corner of the editorial manager window.
- Shading picker asset tab: It’s currently simpler to apply hues you have characterized as shading assets. The shading picker currently populates the shading assets in your application for you to pick and supplant shading assets esteems. The shading picker is available in the plan instruments just as in the XML manager.
- View official: Allows you to all the more effectively compose code that cooperates with sees by giving incorporate time security when referencing sees in your code. When empowered, see restricting creates a coupling class for each XML design document present in that module. As a rule, see restricting replaces findViewById. You can reference all perspectives that have an ID with no danger of invalid pointer or class cast exemptions. These distinctions imply that incongruencies between your format and your code will bring about your construct fizzling at assemble time instead of at runtime.
- Android NDK refreshes: Previously upheld in Java, these highlights are currently likewise bolstered in Kotlin. You can explore from a JNI presentation to the comparing execution work in C/C++ (see this mapping by floating over the C or C++ thing marker close to the line number in the oversaw source code record). You can naturally make a stub usage work for a JNI assertion (characterize the JNI announcement first and afterward type “jni: or the strategy name in the C/C++ document to enact).
- IntelliJ Platform Update: The IntelliJ 2019.2 stage discharge incorporates numerous upgrades from another administrations instrument window to much improved startup times.
- Include classes with Apply Changes: You would now be able to include a class and afterward send that code change to your running application by clicking either Apply Code Changes or Apply Changes and Restart Activity.
- Android Gradle Plugin (AGP) refreshes: Support for the Maven Publish Gradle module, which permits you to distribute construct curios to an Apache Maven store. The Android Gradle module makes a part for each form variation ancient rarity in your application or library module that you can use to modify a distribution to a Maven vault. Moreover, the Android Gradle module has made critical execution improvement for comment preparing/KAPT for huge ventures — AGP now creates R class bytecode straightforwardly, rather than .Java records.
- New bundling device: The default bundling device has been changed to zipflinger for troubleshoot fabricates. You should see an improvement in fabricate speed, however you can likewise return to utilizing the old bundling apparatus by setting android.UseNewApkCreator=false in your gradle.Properties document.
- Android Emulator – Google Maps UI: Android Emulator 29.2.12 incorporates another path for application engineers to interface with the imitated gadget location.The Google Maps UI is installed in the all-inclusive controls menu to make it simpler to indicate areas and furthermore to develop courses from sets of areas. Singular focuses can be spared and re-sent to the gadget as the virtual area, while courses can be produced through composing in addresses or clicking two focuses. These courses can be replayed continuously as areas along the course are sent to the visitor OS.
- Multi-show support: Emulator 29.1.10 incorporates primer help for numerous virtual presentations. Clients can arrange different shows through the settings menu (Extended Controls > Settings).
- Resumable SDK downloads: When downloading Android SDK parts and apparatuses utilizing the Android Studio SDK Manager, Android Studio currently permits you to continue downloads that were hindered as opposed to restarting the download from the earliest starting point.
- Set up refreshes for imported APKs: Android Studio presently naturally distinguishes changes made in the imported APK document and gives you an alternative to re-import it set up. Beforehand, when changes to those APKs were made, you would need to physically import them again and reattach images and sources.
- Append Kotlin sources to imported APKs: Support for joining Kotlin source records to imported APKs.
- Break location in Memory Profiler: The Memory Profiler now can distinguish Activity and Fragment occurrences that may have spilled. To begin, catch or import a pile dump document in the Memory Profiler, and check the Activity/Fragment Leaks checkbox to create the outcomes.
- Deobfuscate class and strategy bytecode in APK Analyzer: When utilizing the APK Analyzer to review DEX documents, you can now deobfuscate class and technique bytecode. While in the DEX record watcher, load the ProGuard mappings document for the APK you’re breaking down. At the point when stacked, you will have the option to right-tap on the class or strategy you need to review by choosing Show bytecode.
- Android Studio 3.6 likewise incorporates the standard execution enhancements and bug fixes on the new highlights (full discharge notes). Google didn’t share its arrangements for the following variant, yet we’re probably going to hear more at its I/O 2020 designers meeting in May.